Dear Nevada NOW Members and Supporters:
UPDATE: YOUR HELP IS NEEDED -- ASSEMBLY FLOOR VOTE ON ERA COMING UP
The Assembly's Legislative Operations and Elections Committee had to postpone its vote on the Equal Rights Amendment (ERA) ratification resolution (SJR2) Tuesday when more than 40 persons showed up to testify, including about a dozen opponents. So the committee vote was held over until today, Thursday, March 9, at 1:30 p.m. We are still hopeful that the majority of committee members will vote in support; if so, then the Assembly floor vote could possibly be held the next day, Friday, or early next week,Monday, March 13 or Tuesday, March 14.
Some of you may have read the February 28 article in the Las Vegas Review-Journal which attacked the ERA with a false claim, plus many of the same discredited and outmoded arguments used against the amendment decades ago. Legislators need to know that an Equal Rights Amendment to the U.S. Constitution remains of critical importance to women's equality, assuring equal treatment and equal opportunity for women and men.The ERA will provide a constitutional basis that will help end gender-based discrimination and will help us gain pay equity. The U.S. is one of just a handful of nations that does not have a constitutional provision for equality between women and men. Nevada legislators can take this important step to restore America as a world leader in advancing equality. Ask your legislator to vote for Senate Joint Resolution 2.
If you haven't already, please call your Assembly member now; here's a link to the legislative directory. Member Directory
Below is information prepared by Janette Dean, Organizer for the Nevada ratification of the ERA, that provides further details on the committee and the full Assembly floor vote, and tips on the video feed and parking if you would like to be there for this historic event. If the ERA is ratified in Nevada, that leaves us with two more states to reach the magic number of 38 for full ratification.
NOW GRASSROOTS ACTION CAN HELP ASSURE THAT THE RATIFICATION MEASURE PASSES IN THE NEVADA ASSEMBLY. Thanks for all that you do for NOW.
GOVERNMENT RELATIONS DIRECTOR ~ National Organization for Women
Nevada Assembly Committee meeting on SJR 2 to vote for ratification of the ER Thursday, March 9 from 1:30 p.m. (Carson City & videoconference in Las Vegas / live video feed)
Nevada Assembly Floor Discussion & Vote on SJR 2 to Ratify the ERA Possible on Friday, March 10, or early next week; time to be announced. (Carson City / live video feed)
MORE CONGRATULATIONS, EVERYONE!
We've now leapt over 2 of 4 hurdles toward final passage of Senate Joint Resolution 2 by Senators Pat Spearman & Yvanna Cancela for long overdue Nevada ratification of the Equal Rights Amendment! NEXT--FROM CARSON CITY and LAS VEGAS--HELP US CROSS THE FINISH LINE THAT IS WITHIN SIGHT!
HURDLE 1 = Voted Mon. 2/22 out of Assembly L.O.E. Committee 4-1!
- https://vimeo.com/205925379 (3 min. video of supporters)
- http://bit.ly/2l1yLDT (supporters' photo album)
- http://bit.ly/2mPOPur (full 2/20 hearing*)
- http://bit.ly/2loFvkk (full 2/22 work session & vote)
HURDLE 2 = Voted Weds. 3/1 out of full Senate 13-8!
- First Day of Women's History Month!
- http://bit.ly/2mCxWqo (historic floor discussion & vote; start at 11:17 min.)
HURDLE 3 = Vote Needed Tues. 3/7 out of Assembly L.O.E. Committee (11 members) in Carson City / Videoconference from Las Vegas
HURDLE 4 = Vote Likely to be Held Weds. 3/8 out of full Assembly during 11 AM -12:30 PM Floor Session (42 members)
- International Women's Day; also Women's March General Strike
ACTION 1) ASK 11 Assembly L.O.E. Committee Members by e-mail & phone to vote YES on SJR2 to achieve bipartisan ratification of Constitutional Equal Rights!
(Democrats: Committee Chair Diaz / Araujo / Anderson / Bilbray-Axelrod / Daly / Monroe-Moreno / Ohrenschall as well as Republicans: Hambrick, Hansen, McArthur and Oscarson)
ACTION 2) ATTEND Tuesday, March 7 1:30 Committee Hearing; SJR2 is the first Agenda item! (or watch with Tuesday's available video link)
ACTION 3) ATTEND likely Wednesday, March 8 Vote on SJR2 in Assembly Floor Session (or watch with Wednesday's available video link)
- Weds. session to be announced Tues. afternoon at: https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/Calendar/A/
- Can also contact ALL Assembly Members to participate in bipartisan passage: https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/Legislator/A/Assembly/
WHAT TO WEAR 3/9 and later:
- Senator Spearman asks women and men to wear all white or some white if possible in honor of the suffragists; other colors of the movement are purple, gold and ERA YES kelly green. Pink is also always a color symbolizing women and, on 3/8, many women will be wearing pink pussy hats and/or red that Strike day. No signs are allowed in the building, but buttons, sashes and hats are!
PARKING (COULD TAKE SOME TIME):
There is a free parking lot south of the building, free and paid street parking around the block, and a multi-story lot in the back on Stewart street which a lot of legislators use. More carpool discussions may also be underway at event and group Facebook pages.
HELPFUL NATIONAL ERA INFORMATION SITES ARE:
Janette Dean, Environmental Policy & Human Rights Advocate
- Organizer for Nevada ratification of the ERA (2014-2017)
- B.A. Political Science & Sociology, UNR (2015)
- Outstanding Legislative Intern, Nevada Legislature (2013)